Home  | About The Society  | BoatWatch | Newsletter  |  Committee  | Gallery |  Links |  Contact

The Barry Simpson Collection

Images of the Devoran area

D1. Well known engraving. Plenty of artistic licence but interesting nevertheless .Illustrates the 'tide canal' to Perran Wharf and to Tregaskis Quay (top left) below the transverse dam now the A39 and beyond it to Mellingey Creek (now silted up but once a hive of industry known as 'Smelting House Creek' ).   Photo
D2. Prospectus for the creation of Devoran village by the Agar family of Lanhydrock c1830   Photo
D3. Plan of Devoran   Photo
D4. Toll house by the bridge. Only demolished for road-widening (1960s?) Photo: Miss L Webber.  Photo
D6. Bottom of Market Street. All buildings still exist except the commercial premises on the right. The railway crossing gate is in the foreground. The bricked up doorway on the left still looks fairly new today. Photo
D7. 'The Weir' - maybe one of the former precipitation pools. The sands have been reworked several times and the weir is untraceable today. Note Brunel's viaduct on the left. Photo
D8. Old Redruth and Chasewater Railway building used as Rowe's stores after 1916. Photo: Bob Acton.  Photo
D10. A timber workshop erected on the former embankment near Tallacks Creek. Photo: Ralph Bird.  Photo
D11. Two tops'l schooners in Devoran's dying days as a port. The last of the schooners at Devoran. This picture taken before the first world war shows more or less intact quaysides, some coal stores and the ore hutches on the right still in reasonable condition. Photo:Ralph Bird.  Photo
D12. Devoran in the doldrums. Photo:Ralph Bird.  Photo
D13. Devoran in 1904. Robartes Arms can be seen on the left and possibly a chandler's shop between that and the Village Hall on the right. Timber ponds appear to be used for rubbish. Photo: Ralph Bird.  Photo
D14. Devoran - a run-down place after the closure of the railway.  Photo
D15. Devoran. Note Cherry Island. Photo: Ralph Bird.  Photo
D17. 'The Park' (or playing field) being given to the village by Lord Clifden 1919. Probably Mr. Cock speaking and Lord and Lady Clifden on the left. Photo: Jean Lapham.   Photo
D18. Bargee, Mr Albert Opie. 7 Chapel Terrace. Photo: Steve Ivall  Photo
D19. Belmont Terrace. Photo: Ralph Bird.  Photo
D21. Photo of Devoran's principal grocery shop at the top of Market Street. The shop owned by Tobias Michell was taken over by his daughter Meta (Artie) Michell (in the 1920s) who married Captain Murray Short MN. Artie taught at Devoran School and also nursed at Royal Cornwall Infirmary during the first world war. Later she taught at Clare Terrace Falmouth. Tobias had 3 sons. Thomas became headmaster at Hornchurch, Leonard an accountant in London and Howard a journalist in Surrey. Photo: Mrs Jean Nunn (nee Jennings)`.   Photo
D26/27/28. Three aerial photos taken by R.N.A.S. Culdrose and sold locally to raise funds for Devoran Quay Preservation Society c.1988. They illustrate the remains of the former wharves built out into the creek from the original coastline, i.e. Quay Road!. They also covered the former Northern open cast mine embankment and timber ponds were created.  Photo 26 Photo 27 Photo 28
D29. Aerial photo showing site of Hugh Eddy Stephens boatyard where schooners of 150 tons and upwards were built.  Photo
D30a/b. Moods of the creek from Devoran  Photo 30a Photo 30b